Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What do I believe?

Mormons get a bad wrap in the news media. Fringe topics like plural marriage and who gets to hold the priesthood seem to be on all the headlines, while our central focus on Jesus Christ is
swept to the corner.
Elder M. Russell Ballard recently spoke to the graduating class of BYU-Hawaii. He said that conversations about the Church would take place whether or not Church members decided to participate in them.

“We cannot stand on the sidelines while others, including our critics, attempt to define what the Church teaches,” he said.

“While some conversations have audiences in the thousands or even millions, most are much, much smaller. But all conversations have an impact on those who participate in them. Perceptions of the Church are established one conversation at a time.”

One of his suggestions to the students was to join the conversation using new media such as blogs. A handful of my favorite Mormons and I began one such blog called "What Do Mormons Believe?"

I invite you to take a look and leave comments. While the intended audience is curious non-members, I'm sure the topics discussed will be enlightening for everyone. Let me know if you have any suggestions or issues to address.

Also, feel free to advertise for it. The more links to it out in the internet wilderness, the more it will pop up above the anti-Mormon stuff in search engines.

6 comments:

Steve said...

I'm Steven Gillespie, and I approve this message.

MidSpeck said...

Steven's getting some practice running for president.

brandie said...

i agree! i was browsing through other bloggers, and i was like whoa! i know that guy! i was in the Manitowoc ward in WI...if you remember...how are you doing????

Thaddeus said...

Whoa! Small world. How do you remember me? I haven't been to Manitowoc for like five years!

And could you remind me of your last name? Email me: mrmcplad@gmail.com

Thaddeus said...

If any of all y'all would like to post an entry on my Mormon blog, just let me know. I've stupidly posted my email address above.

The un-famous Michael Stewart said...

I think that your other blog is a great idea, keep it up man, (oh yeah, this is hollywood's husband)