Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thesis or antithesis?

I made up my mind to get a master's degree. A concurrent one (so I'll graduate with both my bachelor's and master's at the same time) for only one extra year, instead of the customary two. Now I have another decision to face: what kind of master's degree?

Option A: 24 credits of graduate level courses, plus 6 credits (possibly paid) research, write a thesis, and defend it.

Option B: 27 credits of graduate level courses, plus 3 credits of research, and write a report.

Option C: 33 credits of graduate level courses.

I have this annoying tendency to choose the hardest possible path. (Why do you think I got into engineering in the first place?) I think I'm worried about not living up to my potential.

I can do coursework. I've been doing it all my life. And I could probably do the thesis-writing stuff, too, but I don't want an ulcer. If, after all is said and done, I'd get the same sheepskin, why not follow the easier path?

10 comments:

nefi said...

Take the most simple one

Ryn said...

Thad, where are you gonna be? If you go into academia, do the thesis if not just get your ME. Industry doesn't really care unless you want to do research.

William said...

I would agree with Ryan on this one. I have always wondered how I might have done on a thesis but during the process I was glad I didn't have to do one. Later in life you can do a thesis on the mechanical properties of Aluminum foil and get it published in Popular Mechanics and that will be more impressive to your business.

Aunt Soup said...

I say if there is something you really want to research you should do that especially if it helps you get connected with a specific professor studying a specific topic that interests you. Those type of connections will be important down the road when you look for a great position. Plus you will find out how much you really like research. I thought research sounded really interesting until I tried it...

Alisha said...

Thad--Ryan is correct and so is Aunt Soup. Not all people lose their gallbladders becuase of a thesis. But not all engineers need a thesis. Ask a professor that you really trust. They are usually straight up with you. My brother is going to get a non-thesis masters, but he doesn't want to do their research, he wants to do his own. Stick it to the man. Wait. . . I might be the man. :)

Jan said...

I like research. You should do it. Plus, less time in the classroom. Plus, then you can market yourself as an expert in some area.

JethRobyn said...

Thad, I think whatever you do, you are going to rock it! You are really smart, and I think you know what will best suit you. Good luck with what you choose.

Beetle Bailey said...

maybe you could do the course work one and then you can write my masters thesis. You can take your time on it.

Elissamae said...

Writing a thesis isn't that bad...I haven't gotten ulcer's from it...yet. It depends on the major...that would definitely be the harder way to go.

Benjamin said...

I'm just going to call it like I see it: Take Option C. Writing a thesis and defending it would suck.