Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Meine neue Deutschkurs

After five and a half long years with virtually no German exposure I have set foot in a classroom filled with students who speak the mother-tongue much better than I. I should have been more nervous.
We had a short non-English introduction to the course from our teacher Frau Dr. Posthofen and then she told the person in the corner to stand and introduce himself. But this was no "Hallo, ich bin der Hans." No, he provided his place of origin, interests, major, minor, when he went to Germany last. And Frau Posthofen requested the same from everyone.

I was about seventh down the row, so I thought quickly of what I should say. I had it all planned out: it was witty and made me look charming. I stood up, cleared my throat, looked my Lehrerin straight in the eyes, and...stumbled over conjugation, word order, and couldn't think of anything to say (this is due to the problem me and Beetle face: no defining hobbies). I sat down uncomfortably.

It wasn't all so bad. I was actually surprised at how fluidly I absorbed everyone else's words. It seemed no different from hearing English. I knew going into it that it might be difficult the first few weeks, but I'm confident I'll get most of this back.

14 comments:

Hosander said...

cool, Deutsch ist am besten!
I'm a little jealous, I was thinking I would get asked to tutor German today and was both hoping and dreading it. In the end nothing was asked of me.

Beetle Bailey said...

No defining hobbies. . . still, no sight of one. Maybe sweating in our unbearably hot house could be a hobby. Or maybe hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable.

Thaddeus said...

I've been thinking of some possible hobby candidates. Which ones qualify? And why?

German
humor
frisbee
cooking (i made zucchini bread today -- it's the only way I eat the vile weed)

Hosander said...

frisbee and cooking definitely count, the problem with hobbies is they often cost money. I don't have one either

Word Diva said...

Wow, I think I need to get a new teacher picture. Maybe something with animal print. Thaddeus I have thought of some hobbies for you:
1. creation of intense and complicated games with many rules
2. Languages
3. Cheating
4. math
5. Aspiring to be a puppeteer.
Speaking of that last one. BYU has a class on puppetry and puppeteering--maybe you should find a way to take it. It sounded just like you.

Hosander said...

Cheating is a hobby of yours i think.

JethRobyn said...

I understand how you feel except mine was in the Spanish Branch Relief Society class. "Hola...donde es el bano?" Isn't feeling awkward the best.

Ben said...

I think cheating is more than a hobby for Thad. It's a pastime.

I think its great that you are taking German. You are awesome.

Jan

Jenette said...

I'm more concerned with the picture of your teacher than you not having a hobby. You will eventually find something to claim as a hobby. Nice blog, by the way.

Elissamae said...

Thaddeus...I think you should first of all try chocolate zucchini cake...fabulous stuff! As fur deine Deutschkurs, du wurden schoen machen! Viel Gluck, obwohl habe ich keine Fragen!

Elissamae said...

Entschuldegung...du will

Elissamae said...

NEIN...du willst...bah, I give up on the German thing...

Kendra said...

Thad I've been trying to think up some hobbies, that you might consider taking up....
1) Star gazing. If this ever became an obsession, you could pay to have a star named after you. (Be sure to tell me which one!)
2) You could practice singing or take voice lessons (not that you're a bad singer), and then join famous choirs like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. (I can then point you out to my family every time General Conference comes around - I know him!!)
3) You could become a make-up artist. Just think, you could get an extra mention in the credits of Jared's 2008 Garlick Dance Movie (alongside the "gaffer" mention), and you could have party nights where you could turn your friends and family into things like, Hobbits with hairy feet or slimy Oraki (sp?) (I want to be an Oraki!). You'd definitely be a hit around Halloween.

I can't think of any more at the moment...but I'm sure you'll find your hobby.

jaymee said...

I'm jealous. I miss German. If I had actually tried to learn it during those five years of class, I might have been able to remember some of it.