Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Who is your least favorite general authority?

I have two predictions for the upcoming General Conference: Who will be in the next first presidency, and who will be ordained an apostle.

While I served in Milwaukee, Elder Maxwell and Elder Haight passed away and one of my colleague missionaries asked Brother Glosenger who he thought might fill the post. He correctly guessed Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, and said, "I don't know who the other one might be, but I know who I would like: David A. Bednar." He had attended BYU-I where Bednar had presided over the university.

Elder Uchtdorf was a president of the seventy at that time, and one day surprised us with an unexpected visit to the mission office. We were sitting in district meeting in the office when Elder Black answered the phone. As he hung up, he told us to be on our best behavior because a general authority was on his way over from the airport. He came just to discuss some matters with President Hunt, but he first made sure to shake hands with each of us and impart his wisdom. It kind of shook up DL Elder Alvey's plans for his lesson.

Anyway, back to buisness. Next member of the first presidency: Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Next apostle: B. Russell Gaines

11 comments:

Kendra said...

Thad! What a title! Is your hair standing on end in anticipation of all the electricity that is coming your way? Yikes!

It will be interesting to see if you are right. I thought it might me Oaks or Nelson.

I don't know much about Brother Gaines. Why would you pick him?

Thaddeus said...

I chose Brother Gaines because of his prophetic eye. He seems to be able to see the future. And he's pretty righteous too.

See this for more details

JethRobyn said...

I'm going to say Elder Holland will jump up to be the next in the first presidency, and yes, Elder B. Russell Gaines is definately a good candidate for the newest apostle.

Benjamin said...

I am faced with a fascinating dilemma. On the one hand, I could post a mock biography of B. Russell Gaines, of the kind that The Ensign prints when a new General Authority is called. Who knows who I might fool? (It's certainly as close to being a General Authority as I will ever get!)

But ever since a BYU-Idaho student was allegedly disfellowshipped for pretending to be university president Kim Clark on Facebook, I am wary of such things.

Aunt Soup said...

My speculation for the newest counselor is Brother Ballard. For the apostleship its a tough choice between W. Sharp Gillespie, T. Daniel Gillespie, B. Russell Gaines, Ben S. Francisco or J. Douglas Gillespie. I'm hedging all bets...

Kendra said...

As you know, I've always thought "T.Daniel Gillespie" sounded like a General Authority name! Hmmmm......

Jinx said...

I have no prediction for the new apostle, however for the new member of the first presidency, I think it's gotta be one of the younger guys. While Elder Oaks is amazing, I don't think it's going to be anybody higher in seniority than Elder Holland.

Jenette said...

If I really had to choose my least favorite apostle, I guess I would have to go with Elder Ooohhhh...wait, it looks like this is not what you are really looking for. My guess: Elder Eyring. I don't know anything about senority or anything of that nature. He is just my favorite. (I know, I'm not supposed to have favorites...oh well.)

JethRobyn said...

Would I be to presumptuous to throw in L. James Gillespie?

Benjamin said...

Yes. That would be presumptuous.

Bus Gillespie said...

Which generation are we in? Is it first name, initial, last name...Or are we doing first initial, middle name, last name...I can't remember.