Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's 4 am and the phone is ringing in the whitehouse...

...who do you want answering the phone?

Actually, it should be 'whom do you want answering the phone?' I wouldn't approve that message. Not with such blatant (and flagrant**) use of bad grammar.

My point is, it really is 4 in the morning (at least when I started writing this, before I got side-tracked watching political ads on YouTube and looking up the proper usage of the word 'blatant'). I have been getting up at 3:20 every morning, six-days a week, but it is all about to come to an end. Tomorrow. I can't wait.

For the most part it's worked out fine. It gave me time to study my scriptures in the morning. I thought I would take care of most of my homework during this period, too, but it turns out I'm difficult this early. I can't even summon the energy to attempt to motivate myself.

I'll work these hours again in the fall, but in the meantime I'm taking lots of vacations. They have to keep me on. I've got job security in the same way sewage plant operators have job security.

**Usage Note: It is not surprising that blatant and flagrant are often confused, since the words have overlapping meanings. Both attribute conspicuousness and offensiveness to certain acts. Blatant emphasizes the failure to conceal the act. Flagrant, on the other hand, emphasizes the serious wrongdoing inherent in the offense. Certain contexts may admit either word depending on what is meant: a violation of human rights might be either blatant or flagrant. If it was committed with contempt for public scrutiny, it is blatant. If its barbarity was monstrous, it is flagrant. · Blatant is sometimes used to mean simply "obvious," as in the blatant danger of such an approach, but this use has not been established and is widely considered an error.

8 comments:

JethRobyn said...

When are you coming to Provo next? you need to come and hang out with us. Linc needs to get to know his Uncle Thad better. Plus, I think a great game of Master Detective Clue could be played!!

Mrs. Eliza said...

I'm glad I finally got on your list of Provo friends. I actually live in Orem but I guess you know me from Provo...and they're practically the same place. Are you coming home for the summer.

Bret said...

These comments are off topic!!!

The Cute One said...

That is exciting for you about not having to wake up in the unmentionable early hours of the morning, or is it night?

Hosander said...

I got up at 3am the other day! We should have chatted. Emily Cutler was online, too. We planned a camping trip. Too bad you won't be on early anymore so we can't plan a camping trip. . .

Thaddeus said...

Beetle, stop posing as Toni. Toni doesn't have a friend named Emily Cutler and she would NEVER plan to go camping. Not even if she didn't have a baby.

Hosander said...

it's true.

Word Diva said...

Oh silly boy you make me so happy some times. Speaking of usage, we are developing a theory on flagrant and blantant misuses of plural nouns as singular nouns. See related blog. It is interesting.