Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bonafide Synesthete!

I took an online battery.
I am an honest-to-goodness synesthete. It's official. A lot of you snickered, thought I was just making it all up, but this battery gave me a score of 0.67. Below 1.00 is a synesthete, 2.00 is a normal person. Zero is a perfect score.

What this means is I associate letters and numbers with colors. Look at the picture. The battery asked me to identify the color of each letter and numeral three times (in random order). These are the colors I associated after three trials.
You'll notice that the middle zero is green. Green!? That's laughable! No zero was ever green. I clicked too fast when that one came up, so it skewed my score a bit.

You might think that this means that every time I read a blog I'm inundated by a psychedelic color fantasy, but it's really not the case. I associate these letters with colors, but I still see these letters in black, they just give me the 'feeling' of color. And basically the first letter determines the color of the whole word.

My most colorful letters are ABCDEFG. I see this as kind of an alphabet rainbow. I suspect it might stem from my childhood, playing with a xylophone, where notes (letters A-G) were associated with the colors of the rainbow, although that doesn't explain why they aren't in true rainbow order.

4 comments:

Hosander said...

I was just thinking about this the other day. Do you think this will become more common with more people inundated as children with shows that infuse color into everything?

Jen said...

I totally believe you...I have seen it manifest itself in different ways among my friends that have it. Super cool I think...I wish I had it...oh and it's supposedly somewhat genetically linked..so let me know when you have kids if they end up this way too. =)

Jinx said...

I don't think so (replying to Hosander). Before I'd ever discussed it with Thad, I saw a show about synethesia, and it's seems - as Jen said - to be something on a more genetic level often running in families...like dislexia or a photographic memory. Sure, synesthetic-like associations can be learned (just as one's memory can be improved through practice), but in the true synesthete "stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway."

In short, Thad's mind is a mess. He's a walking time bomb that could go off when least expected. I suggest wearing plain colored clothes around him and avoid taking him places where he might accidentally see letters or numbers...like the library, or outside.

Jenette said...

Thad, it really is only so fitting this is something you get to experience. It only matches your personality perfectly!! I think this is great!