Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit!

On the first day of every month you have the opportunity to steal the luck of your friends and family by saying to them, "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit" before they say it to you. It's a real thing (i.e. I didn't make it up), although there are many variations and unique rules. My attempts have largely been successful (this is why my life is so grand), but there are a few people so wily they sneak it in on me before I know it.

One day, my brother-in-law (we'll call him "Ben"), fed up with my constant luck-knavery, appealed to his heritage saying, "I'm Jewish and I follow the Jewish calendar, so you can't get me except on the first day of every Jewish month."

I responded that I followed the Gregorian calendar. We agreed that our only recourse was to rabbit one another only on first days of months that corresponded with both calendars.

I planned ahead. The next time these dates were scheduled to collide was September 1st, 2008 (Elul 1st, 5768), about a year and a half hence. I put it in my google calendar and slyly and quietly bided my time. When the time came closer, I entered an alarm into my phone reminding me to, "Rabbit Ben soon." I was poised, ready to strike.

The waiting is the hardest part. At 11:58pm, I sat at my computer, engrossed in some facebook application or a blog or a youtube video. At 12:03am (though I didn't look at the clock until moments later), my thigh vibrated. I looked at my phone. Ben had sent a text. Before I had time to reconsider my actions, I read it and wailed. "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit," it said.

The luck he stole extends well beyond a month. He took any luck I'd have until August 1st, 2011 (Av 1st, 5771). But Ben, beware. At that time, your luck runs out!

9 comments:

Benjamin said...

I am the champion of the world!

Hosander said...

I am married to the champion of the world!

Jancisco said...

So sweet!

JethRobyn said...

You stole Jethro's luck, so you should be good. he took mine though, so I guess he is covered. Can you rabbit rabbit your significant other, or is that like stealing your own luck?

Kendra said...

Ben you are awesome! Thad TOTALLY needed that!!

Diana said...

Good job Ben! That is pretty hilarious.

Mrs. Eliza said...

You are so funny! I thought the rule was just that if it was the first thing you said when you woke up on the first day of each month then you would have a lucky month.

Aunt Soup said...

When you stole my luck that same fateful night where did it go? If you have it then you will be well supplied for a long time, if it slides to Ben as part of your luck then he is really lucky.

Thaddeus said...

aunt soup, since I lost my next three years' luck, I sent out a mass text to get at least a month's worth back. I got it, but afterward, if anyone had rabbited me, they would have got it.