Thursday, November 6, 2008

Evolutionary Biology

Did you ever stop to wonder why our nostrils are the perfect size to fit our fingers inside?

After you're done pondering that, consider the convenient shelf that is your ear. Did we have the foresight to design pencils to rest there? Are they such a biologically terrific trait that only those with 'ear-shelves' survived (or the non-earshelf-endowed were deemed undesirable to reproduce with)? Did God create our ears understanding the great utility of having a handy place to put slender writing utensils during a busy day at the office?

And why don't we have built-in pockets?

4 comments:

Hosander said...

you don't have a built in pocket? weirdo.

Bus Gillespie said...

Probably as a society evolves beyond the hunter gatherer stage and into the information/communication stage the ears evolve from being used to sense wild beasts or the next meal to a tool holder. If you've ever wondered what naked people do with their hands (being without pockets or belts) check out the Little People in "The God's must be Crazy"

The Cute One said...

I love that movie! What makes you think of this stuff Thad, it is maddness I tell you!

Jen said...

My ear-shelf sucks! I was just complaining about that in the lab yesterday when my sharpie wouldn't stay put and I didn't have enough hands. I think Obama probably has a great one though...