Sunday, October 4, 2009

Joke of the Day

I used to be the director of BYC meetings back in my youth. At age 17 I was in charge, even outranking the adults in the meeting (sort of). One of my abuses of power included my own version of the meeting agenda which included a "joke of the day." (A real rebel, I know).

I treated it as a serious and important part of each meeting, even assigning people to bring next meeting's joke. One particular week I assigned Rebecca Wilson to the joke and she accepted.

When the next meeting began, a month later, I asked to be reminded who had been assigned joke of the day. She responded that she had, and as she opened a piece of paper she read,

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

First, I had never heard this and I loved it. So clever. So elegant.

Second, I think she was the only person ever to remember and follow through with her commitment. This was an assignment above all others of such a trivial nature that it was very easy for most of us to wing it. We would be caught on the spot and try to think about some tired joke that most everyone knew.

But, kudos to Rebecca, who put some thought into her task and pulled through with quality. Her response, in microcosm, is the kind of thing most every leader hopes his followers will provide. I'd go as far as to say she magnified her calling that day.

5 comments:

hosander said...

can I send her a link to this blog?

Eliza said...

Hahahah! I love it!

Thaddeus said...

Sure, Hosander.

Steve said...

A gorgeous young redhead goes into the doctor's office and claims that her body hurts wherever she touches it.

"Impossible!" says the doctor. "Show me."

The redhead takes her finger, pushes on her left knee and screams in pain. Then she pushes her elbow and screams in even more. She pushes her stomach and screams and then she pushes her ankle and screams even louder. Everywhere she touched made her scream.

The doctor said, "You're not really a redhead, are you?

"Well, no" she said, "I'm actually a blonde."

"I thought so," the doctor said. "Your finger is broken."

Bus Gillespie said...

Your tradition had legs. When I became the bishop we continued it. However with some added sugar. I would provide the laughy taffy and everyone would get a piece then we would go around and read the jokes.
I felt that BYC was one of the most important meetings in the church, as well as one of the most fun. The most difficult part keeping the adults quiet so the young people could fulfill their callings.