Sunday, April 28, 2013

Teaching?

Today in sacrament meeting I gave a talk. Aside from some nerves, I felt pretty good about it, and the congregants kept telling me it was good, too.

On the way home from church, Jake was driving and he asked me if I ever considered going into teaching. He brought up several things he was impressed with in my talk and also from watching me help Clint and Matt with homework problems as they've needed it.

I have to admit that I enjoy teaching. It's a skill I spent a lot of time honing on my mission. By the time I finished my two years in the Badger state, I felt like I was a pretty competent teacher. Unfortunately, that's when they sent me home.

When I went to get my patriarchal blessing as a 16-year-old, I wanted to hear about my career. I remember insisting to Patriarch Lowe that he tell me what work I would be involved in. The description in his blessing was vague, and I left feeling more than a little let down. No specific direction toward scientist, physician, artist, psychologist, or anything. It just said that I needed to be selective and that I would make my decision at some point.

But it did say I would have confidence that I had chosen right when I saw I was following in the footsteps of the Savior, becoming like him, ministering to others in their need. It also mentions being an influence for good and leadership opportunities.

I gotta admit, that doesn't sound much like my engineering job.

(I've tried to rationalize that carpentry and engineering are similar career paths, but I know in my heart that's not what the revelation means.)

There is no ministering to others at my current place of employment. We barely exchange glances. I mostly sit in silence in my private office. Perhaps I'd minister when I become a manager? Eh, that's a weak attempt at fitting a square peg into a round hole, isn't it?

So...teaching? Probably math or physics at a high school level? Is that grass any greener?

12 comments:

Diana said...

The grass is always greener....in Seattle. :)

hosander said...

How do you feel about teenagers?

hosander said...

I think you would be a great teacher.

Willie said...

Probably not any greener, but probably more enjoyable.

Thaddeus said...

I like teens.

Thaddeus said...

(that statement "I like teens" becomes more sketchy the more specific it gets, e.g. "I like 15 year olds")

Jolyn Chelak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jolyn Chelak said...

Teaching is one of the greatest and most undervalued professions. Just about anyone you talk to would say a teacher was the most influential person in their lives aside from their parents. Be a teacher. Kids need you.

Aunt Soup said...

You are patient and kind. You explain things very well. You may find joy in teaching on the university level as well.

Aunt Soup said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jancisco said...

Teaching has amazing potential. Look at the good Jethro has done with his students. I think it would be amazing for kids to have a favorite science or math teacher--I've never heard of that happening. Probably because I didn't do well at those subjects.

If you feel inspired by it, go for it. You'll still have the credentials to be an engineer if you change your mind.

Beetle said...

You can't go wrong. See if your engineering company will pay for your education classes :)