Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Attoparsec

Parsecs are used in astronomy to measure enormous interstellar distances. A parsec is approximately 3.26 light-years or about 3.085×1016 m. Combining it with the "atto-" prefix yields attoparsec (apc), a conveniently human-scaled unit of about 3.085 centimeters (about 1 7/32 inches) that has no obvious practical use.

Interestingly, 1 attoparsec/microfortnight is nearly 1 inch/second (the actual figure is about 1.0043 inches per second, or approximately 2.55 cm/s).

8 comments:

Jancisco said...

Does this mean you are coming to visit me in two weeks?

Jinx said...

I'm not entirely convinced that 1 attoparsec/microfortnight is nearly 1 inch/second is, in fact, "interesting"...I'll have to think about it for a bit.

Diana said...

You have such interesting posts.

Kendra said...

I take it you're still liking your job.

Hosander said...

but why do I care?

JethRobyn said...

my head broke...

Hosander said...

You have incorrectly labeled the "Anderson Family" blog as being Brad and Kim, it is actually Diana and Richard

Thaddeus said...

Oops! That was the one I didn't check, 'cuz I thought I knew who the Andersons were.