Friday, August 8, 2008

Songs From My Head

Over the last several days I've been keeping track of what songs replay themselves in my head. I'm not talking about favorite songs, or even annoying songs that I can't get unstuck. The only time I get annoyed is when I only know one small phrase and that's the part that loops.

I typically have one or two songs per day that run most of the day. I'll even start singing or humming them unconsciously.

You're Checkin' In - The Simpsons
This is the one that really got me started on this list. This comes from the episode where Homer needs to pick up his car in NYC and Marge and the kids go see a Broadway show. Why was I singing this? I haven't seen the episode in years!
Marge: You know, when I was a little girl I always dreamed of being in a Broadway audience.

% On the stage, we see a courtroom set. All onstage dialog from this point is sung.

Judge: How do you find the defendant?
Juryman: He's guilty of mayhem, exposure indecent.
Man: Freaked out behavior both chronic and recent.
Jury: Drinking and driving, narcotics possession.
Foreman: And that's just page one of his ten page confession!
Judge: I should put you away where you can't kill or maim us, but this is LA, and you're rich and famous!
[the stage backdrop swings around to reveal the Betty Ford Center]

Criminal: I'm checking in.
All: He's checking in.
Criminal: I'm checking in,
All: Checking, checking In,
Criminal: No more pills or alcohol,
No more pot or Demerol,
No more stinking fun at all,
I'm checking in.
All: He's checking in, He's checking in.
Doctor: No more looking pale and thin,
No more bugs beneath you're skin.
[interns take his belt and medicine]
Criminal: Hey, that's just my aspirin.
[more interns put a hospital robe on the criminal]
All: Chuck it out, you're checking in.
Kiss From a Rose - Seal
This one also had me flabbergasted. I didn't know the name of the song or the artist. When I tried to pick out individual words, so I could do a search for them, I had a real hard time picking even one of them out. My only clue was, "Baaaybeee!" And I guessed the word "rose."

Don't judge me. It isn't an easy song to understand, even when it's played out loud. I looked at two different lyrics websites. One said, "a kiss from a rose on the grave." The other said, "kiss from a rose on the grey." That second site also lists every "ba da ba da da da ah ya ya," so I'm not sure if they are being ridiculous or thorough.

Where Is the Love? - Black Eyed Peas
This got into my head because I drove up Provo canyon on Saturday in a Jeep and it was playing. Not a big fan of the genre, but as far as hip-hop messages go, I approve of the non-violent, non-sexual theme. Still, I wouldn't equate the CIA with terrorism. My favorite line: "And if you hatin you’re bound to get irate."

That's poetry.

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
I started singing this one because Amanda has a new roommate named Bobby Jean. I started to sing, "Bobby Jean is not my daughter...but Jed is not my son..."

I remember listening to this with my sister, Jan when we drove to and from Timpview in Gerry. (He was our old Ford truck. Gerald Ford). Jan had a tape (that's right, a CASSETTE) of Thriller, and for some reason she also had a bunch of Michael Jackson lyrics printed out and stored on the floor of the truck.

Why don't you list what song is playing in your head right now? And explain why.

8 comments:

the chelak said...

I really dont think i have reasons for why the songs that are in my head are in my head. i just start singing them out of the blue and i cant recall what they mean to me or the last time i listened to them.

Fell in love with a girl
-White Stripes
i was singing this when grandma and i were perusing costco

Black dog
-Led Zeppelin
I sing this in the shower...all the time. I told matt about it because i didnt know the name of the song and we did some research online before you arrived yesterdy

Song for Gabriel (some call it intro and some call it "that ending song")
-Phillipe Vachey (he's a frenchman)
It's an orchestral piece from a video game made in '97 called Twinsen's Odyssey (or Little Big Adventure 2) This game is quite possibly my favorite game of all time and if im to play whatever it is you want me to play you have to play twinsen.

Hosander said...

When I started your post it was "Give
Said the Little Stream" but when I finished it was "I'm Comin' Out" by JLo. go figure.

Most of the time it's pat-a-cake

Jinx said...

Reading this post taints my random-song-of-the-moment and I get Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" or "Kissed On The Nose By A Seal" (or whatever it's called) stuck in my head.

The time I most frequently get super random songs in my head, however, is when I'm in a big study session...particularly all-night cramming for school exams. A common one in these situations is the theme song from the old kids show "Zoobilee Zoo"...I have no idea why, and it becomes horrible after a while.

Jenette said...

I my goodness, you all are killing me...but really, Kissed by a rose? Where does this come from?

Clinto Beans said...

This is a very interesting subject indeed....

I sing songs that I don't even know I knew until I hear them again on the radio.

Some Lead Zeppelin song was stuck in my head. I didn't even know who it was sung by or the words to it, but the song looped through my the whole durn day yesterday! ...I found it later, but I found it very strange...

And the Elmo theme song was in my head for the longest time last week because there is a set in our show called Elmo...

Beetle said...

Hello World by Bella
I kissed a Girl and I Liked it
Do Me by P Squared
The titanic theme

Mrs. Eliza said...

The first song that came to mind was "Gotta get back do wah do" but I think that's cause I was reading your blog about songs.

But on a consistant basis I think

1: Come Thou Fount
2: Sassafrass Tea (See my blog for the right words)
3:MxPx's Can I call you sweet heart (because it says "take a ride on my Vespa" and I think of it everytime I ride my scooter and just say scooter instead of Vespa cause my Kimko People scooter is way better than a Vespa.)

ToddnLori said...

The technical term for this syndrome, interestingly enough, is earworm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm

I seem to get jingles from tv shows stuck in my head.