Friday, August 22, 2008

Destroying the English Language Juan Word at a Chime

I went camping as a scout once. Okay, more than once, but I am only thinking of the one time right now. We were in a little valley and we pitched tents on a slope. It wasn't steep; at least while we were walking around on it, but at night everything and everyone slid to the bottom. I awoke numerous times to Jon cursing the name, "Newton" for inventing troublesome gravity.

During this same trip, Jon also came up with the malapropism (but can you call it a malapropism if it's done on purpose?), knifes to substitute for nice. As in, "We got a knifes warm fire going!" I really like it, because it's so subtle, so I adopted it into my vocabulary.

Since then, me and my roommate Jared and I have come up with several other on-purpose substitute words using real words (we really like messing with English majors): Muffin meaning nothing, as in, "I tried to roll a horse, but I got muffin." And meow instead of now: "Stop talking like that right meow!"

10 comments:

Hosander said...

your 'Rolling a horse' reference was so random, I thought it was another example of a malapropism

Robyn said...

Only slightly but almost really confusing. I think I do that unconsciously anyways, for example i used the phrase "wait to go" instead of "way to go" when commenting on someones blog the other day, I guess that just makes me awesome.

Thaddeus said...

Toni: that's why I put the link in.

Robyn: just act like it was on purpose. That's what I do.

Megan said...

There are some more good examples at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

I have no idea which of these your examples qualify as though. But they made me laugh.

Jancisco said...

Knives. . . I wondered why I said that.

Hosander said...

Last night I thought of interchanging Glass and Grass.

The Grass is half full.

although mixing your L's and R's is a little racist, so maybe not.

Word Diva said...

I will strife not to be opended by this post of malapropo. sigh. . .

Kendra said...

I substitute words like that when I am tired and my brain is totally wasted. My favorite was, "Oh! We have to go back to the house! I forgot to turn the ONION off!!" (I meant "oven.")

Jinx said...

Camping on a slight slope and having everybody wake up each morning on the low side of the tent happened to us too on a scout camp-out. It was funny.

Bus Gillespie said...

What did the Mexican fireman name his twins? Jose and Hose B!